No matter whether you are repairing your old computer or building an entirely new one, you must install motherboard drivers. The motherboard is the master control of your computer.
This means that you should link all hardware to your motherboard so that each piece of hardware can send data to and from the motherboard. Installing drivers for the motherboard also allows your computer to function correctly.
But first, what is a driver? Your computer requires drivers to perform tasks like audio, graphics, internet surfing, and other features that are vital to its operation. In this article, we are going to explain how to find and download motherboard drivers and how to identify and download the drivers you need.
Obtaining the Correct List of Drivers for the Motherboard
Before installing the drivers for the motherboard, you must obtain a list of drivers that your computer needs. For this reason, you will need to determine your motherboard model and manufacturer to get the list. Typically, there are four types of basic drivers that most motherboards use.
- Chipset Drivers: Chipset drivers instruct the computer’s operating systems on how to interact with and run the motherboard.
- Network Drivers: Also known as LAN drivers, network drivers allow your computer to connect to the internet. If you do not install this motherboard driver, the internet connection will be missing from your PC. Installing this driver will make sure that your computer has a functional and properly working internet connection.
- Sound/Audio Drivers: Computers typically come with audio ports that can be used to connect external devices like headphones and speakers. Nevertheless, you cannot connect any external audio hardware to your computer without the audio driver.
- Graphics Drivers: The graphics driver is an essential motherboard driver as it is required to improve the quality of a computer’s visuals. An un-updated VGA (graphics driver) is responsible for poor video quality and gaming graphics.
Which Driver Does Your Motherboard Require?
Every computer has a motherboard that is unique to its manufacturer and model. As a result, you can only determine what specific drivers your motherboard needs by viewing the motherboard’s manufacturer and model number. Here is how you can find out:
- Click on the Start menu and enter System. Click on the System Information app.
- On the left pane’s tree, you will see System Summary. Select that.
- Now you have to look for three items in the right pane beginning with the BaseBoard.
- The BaseBoard consists of the information you require: your motherboard’s model number, product code, version, and manufacturer details. Note them down for later use.
- If you want to install specific motherboard drivers, you can select Components from the left pane’s tree. You can also learn driver information from here by clicking on your desired component, such as Display, Sound, VGA, etc.
- Click Item for driver information. The Value column displays the path and the driver’s file name of the selected component.
How Can You Download Driver Files?
You can download all the drivers for your motherboard directly from the manufacturer’s website or even select only the ones that you need for your computer.
- Almost all motherboard manufacturers have a section dedicated to drivers on their websites. Drivers can usually be found by searching the site for the term “drivers” or by clicking on a link in the driver’s section.
- You can search for drivers by entering their model numbers, their computer models, or the service codes displayed on your computer on the driver search screen.
- The search results page will display a list of drivers. There may be times, however, when the site will scan your computer for outdated drivers.
- If you wish to update a specific motherboard driver rather than all of them, the name of the driver can be found in the System Information window.
- When you have finally found the motherboard driver you need to update, click on the download button.
How to Install Motherboard Drivers From a Folder?
It is recommended not to use your computer for anything else during driver installation since it can slow down the process drastically. Here is how you can install the motherboard drivers from a folder.
- Once the drivers have been downloaded, unzip them. When the file has been downloaded, click “Extract Here” to unzip it into the current directory.
- To open the unzipped folder, double-click it.
- Start the installation by double-clicking the setup file with an .EXE extension.
- An instruction wizard should appear at this point. Follow the instructions. Upon accepting the licensing agreement, you will be prompted to continue.
- Click “OK,” “Next,” or “Accept” as necessary throughout the process. The drivers will be automatically installed when you click “Install.” Once the installation is complete, you will be prompted to click “OK.”
- The Wizard will instruct you to reboot your computer at some point. You must complete this step for a motherboard driver update or installation to be successful. If you skip rebooting your computer, the motherboard will become perplexed and unsure of where to ask for help.
How to Install Drivers for the Motherboard via USB?
Installing motherboard drivers from a USB drive is a much simpler process, as it does not require any extra effort. Most people who do not have an internet connection prefer installing mother drivers via USB. Here is how you can do it.
- Install your drivers by unzipping them on the USB device you downloaded them. By clicking on “Extract Here,” you can easily unzip the zipped file in the same folder on the USB.
- After unzipping, double-click on the file and wait a few minutes for all the driver files to finish loading.
- Look for the setup file with an .EXE extension on it. Double-click on it to start driver installation.
- A wizard shall also appear here, asking you to follow the instructions properly. The first request is to agree to the licensing and begin the installation.
- Once done, you will then be navigated to click the “install” button. When you click on it, the motherboard drivers will automatically be installed on your PC from the USB drive.
- Complete the process by rebooting your computer upon the Wizard’s screen instructions. Do not ignore this step, as your driver might malfunction if you do not reboot your PC.
How Can You Install Motherboard Drivers From a CD?
Most motherboard drivers can be found on compact disks. To assist with this method, a CD drive is required. This is the most traditional method of installation. An external compact disk drive may be purchased easily if your computer does not have one. The following is the procedure to install motherboard drivers from a CD:
- Insert the compact disk into the computer’s built-in or external CD drive.
- A user interface should be displayed if the driver has autorun functionality.
- If it does not run automatically, locate the disk from My Computer and click on the Install button.
- An interface will appear, asking you to mark the relevant disks and select Express Install. It is also possible to separately install all drivers.
- After each installation, you must restart your computer to ensure the drivers are working correctly.
Is It Possible to Install Motherboard Drivers Without a CD?
It is only possible to install motherboard drivers without a compact disc once you have obtained the drivers from the website of the motherboard manufacturer. Here is how you can do it.
- In “My Computer,” select the “Downloads” folder and double-click it.
- Choose the “extract file…” option after right-clicking the downloaded .zip file.
- Locate the setup file after it has been extracted. Proceed accordingly after clicking on it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I install motherboard drivers manually?
Yes, you can install motherboard drivers manually. Most new computer models download and install all motherboard drivers automatically via a stable internet connection; however, if you want to manually download the drivers, extract the earlier downloaded driver, then double-click the setup file and start it.
How many drivers does a PC usually have?
There isn’t a set number of drivers PCs typically have. To carry out several vital functions on your computer, you must install a driver for it. These operations include adjusting your volume, upgrading video quality, display, etc.
What if I do not have a driver on my computer?
Motherboard drivers are a vital part of your computer, making the operating system function properly. If you do not have a driver on your computer, critical functions like sound, video, internet connection, etc., will not work correctly on your PC.
Motherboard drivers are necessary for the proper operation of your computer. A lack of these drivers would prevent audio, graphics, and network connectivity from working as they should.
Once each driver has been installed, your computer must be restarted. Moreover, you should also be cautious in installing the motherboard drivers correctly and refrain from downloading them from unfamiliar sources. Hopefully, this guide helped you when trying to figure out how to install motherboard drivers.